Move and Groove is a dance programme designed to engage with older people who have limited mobility and also specific elements have been designed to target those with dementia and memory loss. The programme can also be delivered as a seated dance session for those more physically restricted.
- Supporting and finding new and personal means of self-expression
- Improved emotional well-being
- Have fun and enjoyment while participating in a positive activity
- Increased physical activity levels leading to better health
- Increased physical confidence
- Improvement in stamina
- Improved body and spatial awareness
- Improved mental capacity through demands on memory, decision-taking and problem solving
- Positive relationships formed
- Increased social activity
- Positive experiences through exercise
- Increased self-esteem, confidence and motivation
The programme uses very simple and repetitive moves to build a sequence of choreography which is easy to follow and promotes memory, listening skills and following instructions in a fun enjoyable way. The music used spans different decades up to contemporary music and is familiar to the participants.
Sessions start with a gentle warm up, dance activity for approximately 30/40 minutes depending on participant’s physical levels and a cool down.
Dance activity is group work following the moves of the dance tutor. When provided as a block programme gradual progression of moves is introduced over the weeks and in line with participants learning.
There are no right or wrong ways to perform the movements as long as the participants are moving at their own comfort level and enjoying the session that means success to us!
For all participants – the person with dementia and their partner or carer it is an opportunity for them to distract from the outside world and enjoy themselves.
Note: The sessions are 45 minutes to an hour depending on participants needs
Package 1 — £35
1 Hour Session/Taster
The single session is an introduction to the programme with a very simple seated or standing slower paced dance based session
Package 2 — £180
6 Week Programme
The course is designed to provide content for 6 weeks which includes seated or standing dance based sessions including Zumba Gold, physical movement and other dance based styles
Package 3 — £380
12 Week Programme
The course is designed to provide content for 12 weeks which includes seated or standing dance based sessions including Zumba Gold, physical movement and other dance based styles